The parish of Great Paxton contains 1406 acres. The land is low-lying, the river Ouse forming the western and the Gallow brook the southern boundaries. There is a ferry over the Ouse called Wrayhouse ferry, in the south-west of the village. The subsoil is chiefly Oxford clay, and the soil clay growing wheat, barley and root crops.
The village lies on the main road from St. Neots to Godmanchester and is two and a half miles from Offord station on the main line of the London and North-Eastern Railway, which crosses the parish parallel with the Ouse. The Towgood Institute in the village was built and endowed in 1904 by Mr. Hamer Towgood, whose ancestor, Rev. Micaiah Towgood, was a celebrated 18th-century nonconformist divine. There are some interesting 17thcentury timber-framed cottages in Adams Lane and London Lane, a name which goes back to the 16th century.
College Farm, in the west of the parish, takes its name from St. John's College, Cambridge, which purchased land in Great Paxton in the 16th century, at the same time that the manor of Little Paxton was bought. The parish was inclosed under a private Act of Parliament of 1811. Both Neolithic surface implements and a few Romano-British finds have been discovered in the parish.
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Published in 1932